Visualizing Data in ArcGIS Online
This workshop introduces complete beginners to the ArcGIS Online platform and tools. This workshop is intended for those unfamiliar with GIS software or code but who want to be able to create a map, add their own data, and configure a Story Map. By the end of this workshop participants will be able to:
- Discover and explore available geospatial data online
- Add data to a map
- Symbolize data
- Configure pop-ups
- Embed a map in a Story Map
- Add photos and text to a Story Map
- Create two web maps using ArcGIS Online
- Add data from the Living Atlas and explore this dataset
- Add your own data and customize its symbology
- Create a story map using your web map
Things to do before the workshop
You will need to sign up for a free ArcGIS public account ahead of time. If you already have an account with Esri, you can choose to use your regular sign in or create a separate free account.
Click Create an account.
Under Create a free public account, click Create an ArcGIS Public Account and follow the instructions.
You will also need to download data. Click on the ‘Download Data’ link below to start the download. Once complete, extract the contents of the .zip file. This data comes from the City of Vancouver. For this workshop, we will download a GeoJSON file of homeless shelter locations for Vancouver.
If you have any questions, concerns, or accessibility needs please email [email address of workshop co-host].
To keep up-to-date with all of the workshops, consults, and events subscribe to the UBC Library Research Commons monthly newsletter.
- Wednesday, October 21, 2020
- 11:00am - 1:00pm