Intro to visualization with Tableau
This introductory workshop covers data visualization concepts through hands-on practice with Tableau software. By the end of the workshops you will be able to:
- recognize the characteristics of an effective visualization
- format data for visualization
- create a simple visualization using Tableau software
Pre-workshop setup: no previous experience with Tableau is required, but to participate fully please do the following before the workshop begins:
- Install Tableau Public (free) or Tableau Desktop (free for students) on your computer. Both versions work equally well for this workshop.
- Download the Labour Force Survey sample dataset (CSV file on Google Drive, 72MB).
- **Optional:** if you are using Tableau Public and would like to save your work, sign up for a free Tableau Public account).
The workshop outline is at https://ubc-library-rc.github.io/intro-data-viz/. If you have any questions, concerns, or accessibility needs please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
To keep up-to-date with all of the workshops, consults, and events subscribe to the UBC Library Research Commons monthly newsletter.
- Monday, November 8, 2021
- 2:00pm - 3:30pm
- Jeremy Buhler and Sarah Parker