Making a Difference Editing Wikipedia
Wikipedia is a multilingual, web-based, free encyclopedia based on a model of open community-generated knowledge. The community-driven nature of Wikipedia is meant to support Wikipedia’s goal of providing “…every single person on the planet is given free access to the sum of all human knowledge.” However information gaps, biases, exclusions, and assumptions about "neutrality" means there remains lots of work to be done but in order to change the space we need to know how to edit.
Join us for this hands-on session on how to edit Wikipedia. This session will cover:
- Creating an account
- Norms and conventions for editing
- Creating and editing an article, adding categories, and citations.
- How to get involved at UBC with Honouring Indigenous Writers Wikipedia editing and Art + Feminism
- This event is online. Registrants receive the link 3 hours before the event. Registration closes at the same time.
This event is in support of Honouring Indigenous Writers and Art + Feminism.
Honouring Indigenous Writers is an event with author readings and workshops throughout the month of March, as well as asynchronous Wikipedia editing challenges designed to be easily accessed and doable online whenever you have time. Learn More...
Art + Feminism builds a community of activists that is committed to closing information gaps related to gender, feminism, and the arts, beginning with Wikipedia.
If you have any questions, concerns, or accessibility needs please email email@example.com.
- Wednesday, March 9, 2022
- 11:00am - 12:00pm
- Open Education Week Open Scholarship
- Rie Namba, Will Engle