Introduction to Web Mapping with Leaflet
This workshop will first give an introduction to web maps, including the differences between digital maps and web maps, their structure, and how they work. The second part of the workshop will be a short hands-on session where we will create our own web map showing UBC campus buildings – with clickable with popups – using Leaflet.js.
Intro to Web Maps
- Why web maps?
- Web map vs digital map
- Map tiles
- Structure of a web map
Hands on with Leaflet.js
- Intro tousing your source code editor
- Examine the map “boilerplate”
- Configure the load location and zoom level
- Change base layer
- Add building data
- Examine building data attributes
- Configure a popup
Things to do before arriving:
This workshop will require the use of an internet browser and source code editor. We recommend downloading Mozilla Firefox for your browser, and VS Code as a source code editor.
- Monday, March 6, 2023
- 10:00am - 12:00pm
- 548 and 552 - Presentation Room (Combined)
- Koerner Library
- GIS Maps Research Commons