Diving Deeper with Esri StoryMaps
Esri StoryMaps are a map-based presentation tool from the GIS software distributor Esri. Anyone with an ArcGIS Online account can create a StoryMap, and they are a good way to tell a story with maps, pictures, videos, and text. They can be used in place of PowerPoint, especially for those who would like to incorporate maps or embedded interactive content.
This workshop is intended for those with introductory knowledge or experience with ArcGIS Online, but looking for advanced features and functions of StoryMaps.
We've previously offered a workshop for getting started with Esri ArcGIS Online, which introduces Esri's online platform for web mapping as a starting point for creating StoryMaps. For those interested in the fundamentals of working with ArcGIS Online, which is recommended before diving deeper into StoryMaps, we suggest reviewing the Introduction to ArcGIS Online workshop material before attending this workshop.
At the end of this workshop attendees will be able to:
- Configure design and apply a StoryMap theme
- Add basic features
- Text, Button, Block Separator, logo
- Embed media in Story Map
- Map, image, video, web app, swipe, timeline
- Embed immersive content
- Sidecar, map tour, slideshow
- Publish and share the StoryMap
This workshop is divided into three main parts:
- Adding and exploring data files as well as data from ArcGIS Online
- Reviewing how to create a web map
- Creating a StoryMap from scratch
Things to do before arriving
The workshop will not be held in a computer lab, so please come to the workshop with a laptop. If you have questions about the workshop space or do not have a laptop, please contact Evan Thornberry before the workshop – evan.thornberry[at]ubc.ca
- You will need to sign up for a free ArcGIS public account ahead of time. If you have an organizational account with Esri, you can choose to use your regular sign-in or create a separate free account. Free ArcGIS Online public accounts have generous, but limited functionality to create StoryMaps. You can sign up for a free ArcGIS Online public account on Esri's Create and Account page and clicking on the appropriate link.
- Download the workshop data and save it to your computer.
- [OPTIONAL] Find 4 images with open licenses for you to upload to your StoryMap – either as a an image file or a URL to the image in the web. Alternatively you can use the images provided in the workshop.
- Monday, January 30, 2023
- 10:00am - 12:00pm
- 548 and 552 - Presentation Room (Combined)
- Koerner Library